The Springfield Free Public Library strives to provide free, open and timely access to ideas and information from around the world which will satisfy the different intellectual pursuits of the public, provide cultural enrichment activities and resources, and offer an environment conducive to the pursuit of learning, relaxation and the development of a broader sense of community.
SFPL began in 1931 as a creation of the Springfield Parent-Teacher Association, which donated $50.00 toward its beginning. Then called the Springfield Library Association, the library consisted of 1000 volumes and was housed in the Brookside Building at the corner of Morris and Mountain Avenues. Within the first year approximately 750 library cards had been issued.
In 1943 the library was moved to the Sarah Bailey House located in Church Mall. The 125 year old house was built by a merchant named Samuel Bailey and given to the town after the death of his daughter Sarah. Sarah Bailey’s will stipulated that the house “shall be used for the purpose and as a site for a public library.” An addition to the library building was completed in April, 1957.
Ground was broken at the present site at 66 Mountain Avenue in 1966 and the building was completed in 1969.
Improvements to the library building were made in 2004, including the construction of an audio-visual room, a “Teen Room,” and quiet study rooms.
Springfield Free PL joined the Libraries of Middlesex Automation Consortium (LMxAC) in 2017 and continues to participate in reciprocal borrowing with other Union County Libraries.